December 18, 2018

10 Things You'll Wish You Took Abroad


With Christmas just around the corner, it seems like a wonderful time of year to share a list of items that anyone planning to go abroad will treasure. Whether your friend is spending next semester in a foreign country or you are about to embark on the trip of a lifetime yourself, this list was created just for you!

1. International Phone Plan
This one was a non-negotiable for me. My parents called our cell phone provider and selected an international plan for me that included unlimited texting and 1 GB of data per month. Family and friends are two of my top priorities, so it meant everything to me that I was able to text the people I love from halfway across the globe with ease. Another option is to purchase a new SIM card once you arrive in your destined nation, but that can be tricky depending on where you go and how effectively (or ineffectively) you communicate across cultures. Let's just say I was talking to my friends and family while some of my fellow traveler's spent days trying to set up their new international SIM cards correctly.

2. Microfiber Towel
You cannot go wrong with a microfiber towel. Not only are they lightweight and compact, but they remain handy even after living abroad has ended! Microfiber towels dry quickly, pack easily, and save your wallet. How so? Once, while I was abroad, I took a weekend trip from Germany to Ireland. The airline I flew only allowed for one small personal bag per customer, and our Airbnb did not provide towels. All of my friends were trying to cram regular cotton towels into their compact bags, but not me. I had a PackTowl and it fit into my backpack flawlessly.


3. Foreign Currency
Yes, please! Everyone likes cash, especially if they are traveling to a cash society (like Germany) where their access to places that accept credit cards will be limited. Being in a new country or culture can be an overwhelming experience and many places have high currency conversion rates, so it's really nice to already have foreign currency on your person the moment the plane lands. Just make sure you get the right kind of money - the Czech Koruna won't go very far in England!

4. World Adapter
Does your favorite travel-bug already have an outlet adapter? Buy them another one! I took a total of three travel adapters on my study abroad trip to Germany, and I was still running out of places to charge my devices! The cool thing about this gift is it can even be given out on loan. All three of my adapters were borrowed from generous friends who had gone abroad before me. It was a great way for me to save money and stick to my wannabe minimalist and low waste lifestyle.

5. Travel Backpack or Purse
There are so many styles and sizes to choose from, you're bound to find at least one travel bag that fits perfectly! Travel backpacks and purses are designed to dissuade pickpockets from snatching travelers' personal items. I chose a neutral colored travel bag that could be worn as a backpack or purse - it was awesome! A friend of mine was gifted a grey travel cross-body purse, and she adored it! We carried them every single day while abroad like some sort of fashion statement. I felt a lot more secure knowing my bag was less of a target than bags with easily accessible zippers and pockets.


6. Lightweight Photo Frame
If you're a fan of personable gift items, a lightweight photo frame (with a photo included) is perfect! Before leaving the states I put my favorite picture of my boyfriend, Tyler, and I in a super lightweight picture frame and packed it in my checked bag. When I got to my flat in Germany, I placed the picture frame under a lamp on my bedside table. It instantly made my new and far from home place feel cozier. All of my housemates loved the idea and wished they had thought to do the same!

7. Reusable Grocery Bag
I believe everyone needs a surplus of reusable grocery bags anyway, but here are my top 3 reasons people should take at least one quality, reusable grocery bag abroad.

1) There are not always plastic or paper bags available at the stores or markets; even if there are, they may come at an additional cost.
2) Reusable grocery bags are versatile and can substitute in as laundry bins, beach bags, picnic baskets, or extra storage.
3) They don't take up much luggage space and can be used forever to help save the sea turtles!

8. Digital Camera
Most cell phones have decent cameras, but iPhones and Androids still cannot compete with a high-quality digital camera. For many, going abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity. My sweet friend Morgan and I both agree that we wish we had taken more than our phones to capture our adventures abroad. If you or your friend already have a nice digital camera, consider buying SD cards with better storage!


9. Quality Walking Shoes
You can thank my other friend Morgan for this tip. I'm an Adidas & Chaco girl, but I won't judge if you're into Nike, Sketchers, or even Teva. No matter what, solid walking shoes are a must have for traveling. Never in my life have I walked as much as I did during my two-month stay in Germany. (Yikes, maybe I should exercise more!) Nonetheless, fashion boots and designer sandals are not going to cut it. Sometimes you have to forgo New York style fashion for comfort. Otherwise, your feet will be miserable and so will your time abroad. Seriously!

10. Ranch & CFA Sauce
This is not a drill. Unless you are going to Toronto, Canada, there are is no such thing as Chick-fil-A outside of the United States! Additionally, America is the only country where you can always, always find ranch dressing. Therefore, if you are a saucy person, consider taking some ranch or whatever it is that you like in your checked bag! Thanks for the suggestion, Whitney!

If you have studied or traveled abroad before, leave your list of must-takes or gift suggestions in the comment box below! I love to hear other people's ideas! Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and safe travels to you and your kin!


Disclaimer: I am not being paid to promote any of these items!

No comments:

Post a Comment