December 31, 2018

New Year, Less Stuff!



If you know me in real life (and chances are if you're reading this, you do) then you probably know that over the last year I have been transitioning into a more sustainable lifestyle. Essentially, this means that I am working toward an existence that reduces my individual impact on the depletion of our God-given resources on Earth, and in the long run saves my personal resources and positively impacts my health. If by chance you don't know me, all you really need to know is this: I love God, people, and nature, and I believe that God intended for us people to take care of his creations.  Sustainability may seem like a craze, but I believe the simplicity and satisfaction of it may very well be lasting. I have no intention of becoming a minimalistic guru, nor do I plan to convert people to sustainable living like its a new religion. However, since this is a blog about my wildflower life, I have decided to share my journey toward sustainability with you here, friends.

My heart for sustainability began to take root when I joined a collegiate Fair Trade campaign on a whim almost a year ago. I stumbled upon a booth in our student union that was set up to educate passersby about the devastating effects of fast fashion and other forms of exploitative consumerism on people worldwide, and I immediately knew I was meant to be a part of the fair trade movement. I switched to equal trade coffee brands and started buying more clothing products second-hand. One thing led to another, and before long I stopped using plastic bags at the grocery store, started going to more farmer's markets, and began using basic essential oils. Somehow, all of these little changes in my lifestyle have led me to a place where I feel passionate about pursuing a low-waste, lower cost life. I have a more organic, less beef diet in sight, but that will have to wait until after I officially begin and complete a "30 Days to Zero Waste" challenge in the new year! Since I've always been a flower child of sorts, this likely comes as no shock to you.

Living with less, if all goes as planned, should free up my wallet, time, and space. Having fewer but higher quality items to care for will allow me more time to spend with God, others, and in nature. I know those things are what my heart craves, and adopting a more sustainable lifestyle is a beautiful step along the path toward quality time with others for me. After living in Germany with eight outfits for two months, I'm fairly confident I can make this work. So, if any of this sounds interesting to you, I would love to have you alongside me on this New Year's journey! Just comment, email or text me - it would be awesome to tell you more about my current stage of low waste living in person! Regardless of what resolutions you decide to try out this New Year, remember that you are already made whole and fully loved in Christ. There is nothing you can do to be more worthy or beautiful in the eyes of the one who created you. If anything at all, resolve to be good to yourself in 2019. As the Minimalists (and Jesus, probably) would say, "Love people and use things, because the opposite never works." Oh, and Happy New Year!

Disclaimer: None of these links is an affiliate of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment