January 18, 2019

Cultivating a Sense of Home in College


Over the past several years, I've lived quite a few places (a computer lab in an urban school, a traditional dorm, an on-campus apartment, a converted flat in Germany, my best friend's living room, and my childhood home, just to name a few). It has been quite the adventure and I don't really foresee myself moving somewhere long-term in the near future, and that's okay with me. I mean, aren't all homes on earth just temporary? Nonetheless, in this collegiate season of ebbing and flowing, I've learned a lot about myself and the types of environments in which I thrive.

When I lived in an urban school, I learned to be resourceful and flexible, and that bookshelves make great dressers. In Germany, when I had 8 outfits and only the most basic items in my flat, I learned to live happily with just enough. In a nutshell, I've learned that having less "junk" means living more, and home is where I cultivate it. I like to think of cultivating positive and peaceful homes as bringing glimpses of Heaven down.

I am thankful for all of the little homes that have housed me during my college career, and especially for the people who have made living in each of those places such unique and wonderful experiences. Today, I want to invite you all to tour my flat in Germany and my current apartment as I point out some little things I did in each to foster a spirit of peace and simplicity in my homes. Personally, I find it beneficial to create a home environment that is reflective of the positive changes I want to see in my life. I have a strong tendency to feel overwhelmed and consumed, so it is important for me to have a home environment that feels tidy but cozy, simple and happy, and welcoming and peaceful. Creating this type of home allows me to unwind, collect my thoughts, and pursue peace in my soul.

What kind of positivity do you need more of in your life and home? If you're anything like me, you could always use more room for peace and more time for scripture. How can you make that home-vision happen in simple and beneficial ways today? Here are a few of my go-to's when cultivating a new home-space. Leave 'em or take 'em.
  • Lighting, especially natural light, is essential for positivity and mental health!
  • Color schemes set the mood in a space. I find a mixture of natural, deep, and bright colors to be both lighthearted and soothing.
  • Your home is a reflection of you, but you may also feel yourself reflecting the moods of your home; decorate with items that bring you joy.
  • Home can be anywhere you make it; it doesn't take much to personalize a "house" and make it feel more like home.
  • Plants and pictures of people you love are always a good idea. If you don't have a green thumb, try a pet fish & some moss balls or a few faux succulents. Living things make any space better!
  • Keep your Bible and/or journal in a visible place as it helps to make a daily habit of practicing spiritual wellness!
  • Try to not overcrowd your space; size does matter when it comes to rooms!
Ludwigsburg, Germany
The kitchen and my bedroom were my favorite rooms in the flat. Mind you, we did not have a living room and most days it was way too cold to sit outside on the vine-lined terrace. The kitchen gave those of us who lived in the flat a place to gather, and my bedroom gave my roommate, Abby, and I a place to relax and unwind. I kept the blinds open during the day to let the natural light in and to help keep the house heated when we were away. Warmth and natural light uplift my spirits and keep me cozy in a space, and it helped that the view from my bedroom was such a bright yellow & beautiful house. I diffused a lot of lavender and orange in my bedroom in Germany for calm and energy - living in a new country can be stressful and exhausting! (Yes, I brought my diffuser from the US to Germany and then back again. I also brought a framed picture of my boyfriend and I. #worthit)





I kept the counter space in the kitchen and my bedroom clear to minimize the instant appearance of clutter, and I kept my drawers and wardrobe space tidy. Abby and I chose one corner of the room to store our suitcases in, which helped keep our limited floor space open and our walking paths accessible. We also shared a table by the window where we both kept our Bibles and journals. The fact that the house was mostly painted white and decorated with different hues of blue made for a peaceful and simple color scheme. Blue is my new favorite color. It reminds me of the sky, the sea, and God. 

Charlotte, North Carolina
Welcome to my new apartment, where once again I find myself spending most of my time in the kitchen and my bedroom. I think it's because those are the two spaces I have been able to make my own and adapt to my liking most. I have a great window for people watching in my room, and I leave it open all hours of the day to allow my plants and fish to soak up as much natural light as possible. I don't have an outside space at this apartment, so letting the natural light into my home is also really important for my mental health. I keep my closet tidy enough to leave the door open, which adds the illusion of additional space to my box-sized room. I also keep my bedroom door open unless I'm changing or sleeping, which opens my room up to the rest of the apartment and to conversations with my new roomies.





My room is kind of organized in three main sections: sleep, study, sip coffee. What more could I ask for? I store my bags and laundry basket under my bed and out of sight (which is what allowed me to have an organized closet in the first place). I'm also finding that items made of glass, bamboo, and white ceramic are a) more sustainable and b) make me feel at ease, so I'm incorporating more of those things into my home. My Bible and journals are stacked against the windowsill in a way that is both aesthetically pleasing to me and easy to access. I diffuse tons of lavender and peppermint here and feel a lot of serenity in this place. Come visit!
----------
I hope you have enjoyed these virtual mini-tours of my most recent homes and discovered a few new ways to make whatever space you're in feel more like the type of home environment you crave. Thanks for letting me share my home creations with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment